Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Es Muy Burro, No Speak Eh-English

(Cantinflas, Cruzando El Muro En La Frontera, Por Mis Pistolas)

When I saw this video in class, I was in stitches! I thought it one of the funniest videos i have ever seen in my life. I went home and i watched it two more times and it never got old, I was still laughing just as much as the first time we watched it. I was impressed because this comedy isn't crude, rude, or disgusting in any way. It reminded me of one of my favorite comedy sketches ever: "Argument Clinic" from Monty Python. 



Aside from the fact that they are both slapstick hilarious, they are similar in the fact that they both make silliness out of simple things. In Cruzando el Muro en la Frontera the border patrol makes a big deal out of Cantinflas passing through the gate and not going around. In Argument Clinic when the man enters the room for "being hit on the head lessons" the instructor made him react in a very specific way; "hold your hands here and go waaah". Just like passing through the gate in a certain way, the client had to shout and react in a specified manner. 

As I watched "Cruzando el Muro en la Frontera", I could picture Cantinflas being one of the men employed by this clinic. I would see him being in the room, "Smart Remarks". A person could come in, like the border patrol agent, and to everything that the client says Cantinflas would have a smart aleck remark. The client would get so frustrated that he would move on to a different room to complain or something along those lines. 

I wonder to myself, "Why is it that most comedy today must be full of foul language and filthy talk?" "Why can't we all be entertained by things like this?" I long for the day when I can laugh like crazy and not feel dirty for listening to comedy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment